Mexico City, Mexico, February 16th, 2021.
To our customers and interested public:
OPEN CALL TO ONLINE MASTER CLASS WITH EFRAIN MARTINEZ (APRIL 2021)
We are pleased to announce, based on your feedback, the revised open call to the online master class with Efrain Martinez. This open call was one of the activities proposed by NAYLA in the context of the fourth edition of the Jazz en Movimiento Jazz Festival which was done from January 25th to 30th, 2021 in Querétaro, Mexico and online.
- The duration of this courtesy master class shall be 2 hours.
- Application requests shall be received by February 28th or when 30 applications are received.
- The 2 videos to be submitted as part of the application shall be sent through a private communication channel which will be provided to each applicant as soon as they register.
- Confirmed applicants who do attend the master class shall receive a diploma of participation in digital format and will have the option to request a print diploma for a nominal fee.
- This call is open to a maximum of 30 applications, one application per person.
- Online courtesy master class:
- Professor: Efrain Martinez.
- Class length: Two hours.
- Class delivery channel: Videoconference technology (Zoom Meetings).
- Class capacity: Class limited to a maximum of 6 participants.
- Class date: April 2021 in a date to be scheduled between participants and Efrain Martinez.
- Class cost: The class is offered free of charge to participants who opt for a digital diploma.
- Participant profile:
- Drummers of any proficiency level with residency in Mexico or other countries.
- Persons legally underage in their country of residency need to provide the approval of their parents or legal guardians to apply and participate.
- Selection process:
- Professor Efrain Martinez will review the application submitted by the candidate. The application shall provide a proof of the progress learning one of the Afro-Caribbean rhythms described in his book Raíz and published in his Web site and YouTube channel. The application is open to drummers of all levels of experience from beginners to advanced.
- Application process:
- Candidates shall register their information in the following page: https://airtable.com/shrj7B54CvrtEU0UY (due date: February 28th or when 30 applications are received). Candidate will receive a registration confirmation message via email or mobile message.
- Submit two videos produced with a difference of one month between them with a proof of the progress learning one of the Afro-Caribbean rhythms described in Efrain’s book Raíz and published in his Web site http://efrainmartinezdrum.com/#videos and YouTube channel, including:
- Traditional Plena
- Funk adapted Plena
- Songo Plena
- Bomba Sicá
- Traditional Bomba Yubá
- Funk adapted Bomba Yubá
- Videos shall be submitted in standard resolution with a maximum duration of one to two minutes (MP4 format or similar). The video shall include a mention or text overlay with the name of the participant, date of recording and the rhythm to be played. The video shall present the candidate playing the chosen rhythm for the specified amount of time.
- The first video shall be submitted by the candidate through a link that will be provided upon registration confirmation until February 28th at 23:59 Mexico City time or when 30 applications are received.
- The second video with the proof of learning progress shall be submitted by the candidate between March 22nd and 28th (23:59 Mexico City time) through a link that will be shared individually on March 22nd.
- Application reception shall be open until February 28th at 23:59 Mexico City time or when 30 applications are received, whichever condition is met first.
- Student selection
- Students shall be selected by Efrain Martinez between April 1st and 7th.
- Students confirmed to participate in the master class will be informed on April 8th.
- NAYLA in collaboration with JEM and Efrain Martinez shall coordinate the date of the master class, based on student availability during April 2021.
- Notification to confirmed students
- Students confirmed to participate in the master class shall be informed through personal message (email or mobile message provided during candidate registration).
- Class participation requirements
- Access to computing or mobile device with microphone, speaker, webcam and videoconferencing tool (Zoom Meetings) with broadband Internet access.
- Join the master class in a location where the student has access to his drum set to demonstrate concepts and receive feedback from Efrain Martinez.
- Participation diploma:
- Confirmed students who attend the class shall receive a digital diploma in Letter size with the logos of Jazz en Movimiento and NAYLA, along the rubric of Efrain Martinez, indicating the date and time of the class. These participants can opt for a print diploma for a nominal fee.
- Other issues:
- Resolution to open issues to this call shall be published through NAYLA’s and Jazz en Movimiento communication channels.